Friday, March 13, 2015

Art Journal Page: Light to Dark


This is a page I recently created using acrylic paint, stencils and stamps.  I did not have a vision for the page when I started.  I just grabbed materials as they occurred to me.



This page started off as a scrap page.  When I use a stencil and have leftover paint or ink on the stencil,  I stick it in between some blank pages of my journal.  The purple paint is "paint waste".  I added the blue using Blick matte acrylics. You can see the stencil I used in the upper left.  The foam stamp used in the next stamp is in the upper right.



I stamped the flower shapes with a foam stamp using another Blick matte acrylic.  I also added some green paint.  The page on the left is the primary page I worked on.  If I had any excess paint on the stamp or stencils I used,  I "off-stamped" on the right.



 I added text to the background with a script stamp.  So far so good. However,  In the next step, I pretty much ruin the page:



I added Golden Fluid Acrylic paint in Burnt Sienna  using a paintbrush.  I did not like the result of this step as I think I covered up too much of the blue and green, which I liked.  Fortunately, it was not the final step.



Not content to ruin it with a little Burnt Sienna,  I added some more.  At this point the page was really too dark for my taste so I lightened it by blotting on yellow acrylic paint.



I  like to combine different types of paint and ink on my pages.  Here I am preparing to add black spray paint using this numbers stencil.





This is the page after I added the spray paint on the left.  I blotted off the excess paint from the stencil on the right hand page.





Here is another photo of the final page.  I finished it by adding more black paint with the stencil.  I also stamped a circle stamp using archival ink in orange blossom.  To add more depth and texture to the page, I edged the outer borders with a pinkish red oil pastel.

Thanks for following my process!

No comments:

Post a Comment